Tip: Ask the power company for the estimated time that service will be restored so that you can consider this information when deciding if it is necessary to close your office.
In the event Regions Center experiences a power outage, the emergency lights in your office space, corridors, restrooms, elevators and stairwells will activate automatically. Power outages normally last for a brief period of time, and it is best to remain in your work area if possible. However, in the event of an extended power outage. tenants may make individual decisions if and when to close their offices and evacuate.
During a Power Outage
- In the event of a power failure, all electrical systems in the building will go off for approximately two or three seconds and then the emergency generator power system will activate and supply electricity to minimal corridor lighting, emergency stairwell & exit lighting and fire pumps.
- Elevators will be automatically recalled to the ground floor to let out anyone who may be trapped inside. The generator will power one elevator cab per elevator bank to be recalled to the ground floor. Once that elevator has reached the ground floor, the generator will energize the next elevator in each bank until all elevator cabs have reached the ground floor. Please note this process is time consuming and the elevator you may be in might be the last in line to be energized. All elevators cabs are equipped with battery back-up lighting.
- All stairwell doors will unlock allowing free access from floor to floor by way of the stairwells.
- Once all the elevators have reached the ground floor, the freight elevator can be manually operated to assist in the evacuation of handicapped, elderly persons, pregnant women or any other individual requiring assistance.
- Each tenant should have on hand a battery-powered transistor radio so that they may listen to the local news in the event of an area wide power outage. Please remember to check radio batteries regularly.
- Tenants should turn off all computers and sensitive electrical equipment in their suites to prevent an electrical surge that could potentially damage such equipment once power is restored.
- In the event that a tenant has an emergency, such as a medical emergency, they may call the property management office or security console for assistance if necessary.
- For general information concerning the outage, tenants can send one individual to the security console in the Atrium to find out the status of the situation or stay listen to local radio if the outage involves a major area of the City.
When Power is Restored
- When power is restored, all emergency systems will go off for approximately two or three seconds and then all systems will be restored to regular power.
- Regular elevator service will resume.
- The building HVAC system will energize. Please remember that although it will immediately be turned on, the air conditioning system may take some time to cool the building. This is especially true if the outage lasts a few hours.
- Individual tenant electrical problems will be corrected as quickly as possible. Due to the amount of power passing through the building when the power is restored, circuit breakers may be tripped. If a tenant does not have total electrical supply restored to their suite, they should contact the property management office and someone will be dispatched as soon as possible.
Emergency Power System
Both Regions Tower and Regions Building have an emergency diesel generator, which will supply electricity to emergency lights, the fire alarm system, the fire pumps and restricted elevator cabs. This system does not power electrical outlets, HVAC system, tenant servers and personal computers, etc.