Important:Have someone meet emergency personnel at the designated building entrance and escort them to the patient. Minutes saved can make a difference in medical emergencies.
When you witness or are notified of an accident/illness that involves one to four people, follow the below steps. For situations that involve more than four people, call 911.
STEP 1: Evaluate the situation as quickly as possible using all available information. Ask yourself:
- Is the situation serious?
- What kind of accident/illness is it?
- Is the person coherent?
- Is the person intoxicated?
- Is the person complaining of chest pains?
- How many people are injured?
STEP 2: If the patient is coherent, let him decide what to do.
- Rest for a short period.
- Call the person’s family emergency contact.
- Call 911.
- Call your supervisor and inform them of the event and what the person decided to do.
STEP 3: If the patient is seriously hurt or too sick to assume responsibility for himself:
- Call 911 for assistance. (Ensure that someone stays with the patient while you telephone for help.)
- Do not hang up with 911 until you have fully explained the situation.
- Give your address and location (Regions Building or Regions Tower, 333 Texas Street, Suite_____).
- Make sure paramedics know which entrance to use.
- Arrange to have someone meet the paramedics at the assigned entrance and direct them to the patient.
- Calmly reassure the ill or injured person that help is on the way. Stay with the ill or injured person.
- Do not perform emergency first aide unless you have been trained to do so.