Remember:If someone should become ill or panic while trapped inside the elevator, use the phone again to advise emergency personnel of the situation. Stay on the phone if needed to reduce panic.
Logic:Maintaining communication on the elevator emergency telephone can help decrease panic responses because it offers assurance to those entrapped that help is on the way.
All Regions Center elevators are equipped with emergency telephones that are answered 24 hours a day at the security console. In the event an elevator on which you are a passenger stops and you become entrapped, do the following:
- Locate the white emergency telephone panel. This telephone panel has the appearance of an intercom. It will be mounted above or below the elevator floor buttons at the front of the elevator.
- Press the red emergency button that is on the front of the white emergency telephone panel.
- When the phone is answered, report the elevator number you are in. The elevator number is written at the top of the emergency telephone panel.
- Report the floor number the elevator is stopped on if you know it or if it is indicated on the floor LED display at the top front of the elevator.
- Qualified personnel will be promptly dispatched to remedy the situation. No attempt should be made to force open doors or climb out of a stalled elevator cab.
If someone should become ill or panic while inside the elevator, use the phone again to advise emergency personnel of the situation. Stay on the phone if needed to reduce panic.